Tuesday, March 25, 2014

If Only I Had a Time Machine

(Foto: timemachine.wikia.com)
When I lived in Vienna back in 1999 until the fall season in 2006, I was still little and lack of interest in working for the UN. During weekdays, I would often just stop by Kaisermuhlen from VIS (Kagran) to have lunch with my mother at the VIC. We would talk a lot about how my school went, but hardly a time to talk about my possibilities working for the UN in the future.

It was very rare at the time to even imagine myself working at the UN in the future. It was not part of my plan, I wanted to be rockstar for a change! I was not aware at all in really seeing this moment as my opportunity to possibly be labelled as a professional by the UN.

But time passes, and people naturally become smarter. If I had to recall those days at the VIC, waiting for my mom at a lobby that was decorated by hundreth of flags and different people with neat outfits walking by, I could not easily stop imagining myself as one of those people at the lobby.

(australianmuseum.net.au)
As a boy who once dreamt to become a rockstar, slowly faded away as I lived in Indonesia. The music industry here did not satisfy me at all, it was literally always about love. Like, literally. Reflecting on this moment, I began to rethink that becoming a rockstar would not be the right decision. Hence, I chose a patch that could direct me straight to a social-political environment, which in several years later, put me in the Department of International Relations.


A diplomat, is who they want to become when they have graduated. For freshman students in my department, being part of the Foreign Ministry were their biggest dreams. But I had always thought that the UN was a way bigger dream. A waaay bigger dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment